1. How do you keep employees engaged and motivated?
- Give them autonomy to operate, and allow them to learn from their mistakes.
- Communicate in a transparent manner.
- Keep challenging them with new assignments.
- Celebrate success openly and widely within the organization.
- Stay curious and learn from them – do not create a perception that the leader “knows it all”.
2. What is the best career advice you’ve received and why?
A mentor once said to me, “Most roles you play will eventually become mundane - ensure you are learning continuously and having fun at work. When the learning and the fun stops, it is time to move to another role.” I’ve found this advice very relevant and true in my career.
3. How do you keep a healthy work-life balance?
- Both personal and professional discipline are important for this – adhering to family time every day and not missing out on personal time off / vacations.
- Calendarize (almost) everything! Including lunch and commute time – it will help to not overload your daily schedule with meetings and calls.
- Sharing work successes, even small ones, with the family to keep them interested and engaged in your work.
- Share your personal interests, hobbies, or talents with your work teams and colleagues – once in a while, show them the side of your personality beyond what they see in office.